Into the sunset. Dillingham '11.

Thursday, March 8, 2012

2012 Pre-BJJ competition training/diet: phase one

As I am starting this log late, here were the first couple weeks of my training and diet for 2012:

From mid-January to mid-February, I focused heavily on a strength program called The Texas Method. My good friend Leon Robotham from London [edit: NOT London ;), Newcastle upon Tyne], referred the program to me. Leon is a great guy-- blue belt in jiujitsu and a badass strength and conditioning coach. He co-owns a small hybrid MMA/BJJ/Crossfit gym in London called The Faktory, put together by him and a couple long-time friends. Pretty cool to see how successful it is, especially because opening a gym has always been one of my dreams. More on that later...!

Anyways... the program revolved mostly around five compound lifts: the bench press, squat, deadlift, power clean and press. I--with a complete modified program given to me by Leon--began this when I was back in California with my brother. Here are the numbers I started with (I started with pounds, then switched to kilos because I went to Australia):

  • BW of about 205 pounds (93 kg)
    • Bench: 225x3x5
    • Squat: 245x3x5
      • Deep squat. As low as possible.
    • Deadlift: 355x5
    • Power clean: 185x5x3
      • Not a clean, a power clean. 
    • Press: 160x3x5
      • Was supposed to be doing strict press, but throughout all of my workouts I mistakenly did push press, which uses the knee to help get the weight up.
    • Front squat: 205x2x5
      • Deep as possible.
Here are my numbers from January 23rd-February 15th, when I began traveling and couldn't find a gym:

  • BW of 203 pounds (92 kg)
    • Bench: 112.5kgx3x5 (about 250 pounds)
    • Squat: 130x3x5 (about 285 pounds)
    • Deadlift: 170x5 (about 375 pounds)
    • Power clean: 92.5x5x3 (about 205 pounds)
    • Press: 75x3x5 (165 pounds, but a useless comparison)
    • Front squat: 105x2x5 (about 230 pounds)
As for my BJJ, I tried to train as much as possible, which was not always easy. While I was in Los Angeles with my brother, I trained at Renato Magno's gym, Street Sports BJJ. Great gym, very welcoming and I will definitely go there next time I'm in LA. Renato trained with Dennis Asche, who recommended I stop by there and check it out. Thanks again, Dennis. I learned a lot there, and was able to maintain a pretty consistent schedule for two weeks. Australia on the other hand was much more complicated. Took me about a week to find a school, and even then I decided it wasn't for me. Even though I was lifting a lot and staying in good shape, it was jiujitsu shape. When I flew up to Cairns, on the Northeastern coast of Oz, I trained two nights at Fusion Fight and Fitness with my friend Gus from Rio. Great gym, and a good group of lower belts. It was kind of nice to be able to impose my will again because it had been a while. I'm still used to Brazil where I would get smashed every day by black and brown belts! After I left Cairns, finding good jits got even harder, and it was hard to find a gym too. I eventually conceded to the fact that I would not be able to train until I got back to Sydney. A hard thing to admit to myself, as any of you BJJers know. It's a bug.

I got back to Sydney on the 26th of February, and that is when the real training started.

Here are a couple pictures from Cairns:










1 comment:

  1. if your ever in melbourne - check out cia paulista either on king st or at mma melbourne @ banana alley

    ReplyDelete